John J. Pershing VA Medical Center
Compliance & Business Integrity
Who We Are
VHA established the Office of Compliance and Business Integrity (CBI) in 1999 as a leading healthcare compliance program in alignment with the Department of Health and Human Services, U.S. Sentencing Commission and industry standards. Today, CBI has grown and evolved, providing internal oversight of VHA revenue and purchased care operations to:
- Uphold compliance with applicable laws, regulations and standards;
- Foster a culture of business integrity and quality;
- Support early detection, mitigation and prevention of non-compliant practices;
- Demonstrate our commitment to accountability, transparency and stewardship.
CBI serves the principal VHA function in advising the Under Secretary for Health and Assistant Deputy Under Secretary for Health for Quality, Safety and Value on matters relating to compliance and business integrity. We report programmatic results and outcomes to VHA executive leadership in order to foster a culture of business integrity and accountability. We provide targeted guidance and assistance to VISN, VAMC and CPAC CBI Officers/Liaisons to support local CBI program initiatives in alignment with core national risks, priorities, and needs.
What We Do
Compliance Systems: comprises the core CBI infrastructure based on generally accepted elements of effective compliance programs. This function produces the tools and techniques for monitoring business compliance at the John J Pershing VAMC.
Business Compliance: Administers CBI oversight functions of purchased care activities, and implements the long-term CBI compliance oversight model designed to coordinate facility with Consolidated Patient Account Center (CPAC) activities.
Compliance Improvement: Provides expert consultative support to all levels of facility services through initiatives and services across education, communications, research, strategic planning, policy, and project management.
We believe a culture of integrity, service, and continuous business improvement supports adherence to laws, regulations, and standards; which promote high quality, value-added, Veteran-centric business practices. We strive to achieve this environment by actively partnering with all VA stakeholders to provide risk-based business oversight of revenue and purchased care operations in support of Veterans and their families.
Preserving Veterans’ trust by championing a culture of integrity, partnership, and excellence in effective business oversight.
1. Mature the facility’s compliance infrastructure to create portable, leading edge oversight systems, which maximize our ability to provide independent assurance to the VISN 15 and national VHA Compliance and Business Integrity offices, and to the Under Secretary for Health regarding the reliability and precision of the revenue and purchased care programs, including testing and verification of CBO internal controls.
2. Support and compliment QSV strategic goals, objectives and direction to help promote an integrated VA community, working together to strengthen our culture of accountability, integrity and compliance in service of Veterans.
3. Lead CBI’s and the compliance industry’s evolution and continuous improvement through sharing and incorporating evidence-based best practices and research.
Do you have a Compliance-related question of issue to report? Contact the facility Compliance & Business Integrity Officer at 573-778-4427.
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:00am. - 4:30pm.